Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Book Review: Legend by Marie Lu

Today I am going to share my review for Legend by Marie Lu. I kept hearing really great things about this book and I saw a lot of great reviews on it as well. I was in the mood for a Dystopian book so I decided to pick this one up at Barnes and Noble. I had a lot of mixed feelings about this book but over all I ended up enjoying it. I'm going to post the summary below and then get started on my review.



Summary from Goodreads:
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.



So the two main characters in this book are June and Day and the chapters alternated POVs from them. They are both 15 years old and live very different lives. June's home is in the Republic and she has a lot of military training and such. She lives with her older brother who is also works for the Republic and is a top soldier (or whatever, I'm not exactly savvy on my military terms). Her parents are dead, but she comes from a pretty wealthy family. Day is the complete opposite of June. His lives on the streets and is the most wanted criminal. His family all thinks he's dead with the exception of his older brother and they all live in the poor sector of the area. Day has been on the run for about 5 years but he keeps in contact with his older brother and tries to keep an eye on his family. Basically Day is the most wanted criminal but no one really knows who he is. No one knows what he looks like so the military and Republic really don't' know who they are looking for. There is some sort of plague going around too, and everyone in the Republic or people who a wealthy get vaccinated for it but everyone else who gets it basically dies. Day tries to break into the hospital one day to try to steal some medicines for his younger brother who has the plague ,and in the process June's brother Metias gets killed and Day is the suspect of his murder. June goes on a hunt for Day to try to avenge her brothers death.

At first I had a really hard time getting into this book. It didn't hold my attention very well and I found myself having to re read a lot because I wasn't paying attention to the book. Once I got about half way through the book though, I couldn't put it down. There is a lot of action in this book, which is fine but I didn't really enjoy the military feel to the book. I'm not too interested in things like that but I'm glad I got past that and got into the book. Once Day and June finally meet, the story gets a lot better and more exciting. Even though I wasn't sure if I liked the book at first, I really did like the writing style. This book is very well written and developed, along with the characters.

I really liked the characters in this book. Day and June are both really great, strong main characters. I really couldn't find anything that I disliked about either of them and I enjoyed reading from both of their point of views. I think Junes character especially grew a lot during this book. She learns a lot about what's right and wrong and she's not afraid to take action. I really loved Day because he's not the criminal everyone thinks he is. The republic basically screwed him over, and he is doing what he can to survive. He cares a lot for his family and his friend Tess, and even June.

Other than the story being too military-ish for me, the story line was pretty good. There were a lot of twists and turns in this book, some of which surprised me and some didn't. I did find the story to be a little bit predictable though, and that bothered me a little bit. There were some things that were going to happen that I figured out earlier on in the story. With stories like this, I like to be surprised more because it makes reading more fun for me. I also really liked the romance in this book. It's not too out there and it's a very subtle one so it was enjoyable.

That is all I really have to say about this book, so this review is kind of short. After I finished reading, I immediately ordered the second book, Prodigy, so I can't wait to read that one too! I herd its a lot better than Legend so I'm really excited. I ended up giving this book a 4/5 stars on goodreads because over all I enjoyed reading it.

Thank you all for reading and I hope you enjoyed my review!


No comments:

Post a Comment