Friday, April 26, 2013

Never Judge A Book by It's Cover

Hey Everyone! Today I am going to do a blog post that I've had in mind for a while called Never Judge A Book by it's Cover. Now I know we have all herd this saying before, and if we are keeping this topic specifically related to books, then I'm sure I'm not the only one who has ever picked up a book because I was drawn to the cover of it. I've picked up so many books with beautiful covers that I ended up not liking. And this also goes the other way as well. I've been reluctant to pick up some books because of their 'ugly' covers, but I've found with a lot of them that once I did read them they were ones that I really enjoyed. See, never judge a book by its cover. Anyways, onto the actual point of this blog post. I'm going to list 5 books that had ugly covers that I ended up loving, and I'm going to post 5 books with beautiful covers that I ended up not enjoying. Sounds fun right?

Books with Not so pretty covers:

1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Before I read these books, I was really reluctant because the whole concept of the book sounded really strange to me. On top of that, I was always turned off by the covers because I always thought they looked really boyish or masculine. After I read them though, I did not mind the covers and I actually really like them now, especially the cover for Mockingjay.


2. Teeth by Hannah Moskowitz. This cover has fish hooks and fish scales on it. Not pretty. This story however is very uniquely strange and it's one that I enjoyed.


3. The Vampire Diaries and The Secret Circle series by L.J. Smith. I listed both these series in here because their covers look very similar. I've always hated the covers for these books for some reason. I don't know why but the faces on them are weird to me and I don't like the writing on the covers. Actually I just recently purchased all of the Secret Circle books and I ended up getting the ones with the newer cover versions and I like them much better.


4. Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender. It's not that I don't like this cover, it's just really creepy. First off, this is a ghost book and I'm always really reluctant to read ghost stories because they scare the crap out of me. It took me forever to pick this one up even though I wanted to read it for years. Every time I went to the bookstore and seen it, I basically cringed away from it's creepiness. LOL.









5. Evernight series by Claudia Gray. This is actually a series that I purchased because a few of the books were on amazon for really cheap so I thought I'd try them. I ended up really enjoying them but I don't care for the covers. I think the colors are kind of loud and too much, and I don't necessarily like the girls face on them either.








Books with Beautiful Covers that I did not enjoy: (so deceiving)


1. Wither by Lauren DeStefano. OK first I want the say that I didn't exactly dislike this book. I actually enjoyed it okay and would someday like to finish the series. BUT for how freaking beautiful this book cover is, the book does not add up to it at all. This is probably one of my favorite book covers of all time and the picture doesn't even do it justice.








2. Entwined by Heather Dixon. This is another one that I didn't really dislike or like. I enjoyed it but it was just okay. This is another cover that is really beautiful that the story isn't as great as the cover.









3. Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin. This cover is really beautiful. It's even more beautiful in person than in the picture. But I really, really hated this book. I rarely will say that about a book, but this one I did not like one bit. End of story.







4. The Iron Thorn by Caitlin Kittredge. This was a book that I didn't even finish. I made it probably half way or a little more and just couldn't read anymore. I tried really, really hard and was a little disappointed that I didn't like it. I really love the cover though because it's so dark and just beautiful.










5. Wolfsbane by Andrea Cremer. This is another one that I didn't finish. I was really disappointed because I loved Nightshade and I loved the cover for that one, too. I thought the cover to Wolfsbane was really beautiful.










This is all for my Never Judge a Book by it's Cover post. I know it was kind of random, but I hope you all enjoyed and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment