Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Book Review: Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Today I am going to share my review for Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins. This is the first book in the Hex Hall series. This has been on my to read list for a while now, and while I was browsing my 'to-read' list on goodreads I discovered it again and decided to purchase it.  I really enjoyed this book and I was so happy that I read it. I was in the mood for a really good fantasy book that was part of a series. Actually I was looking for a series that already had all of the books out already because I am kind of tired of reading one or two books and then having to wait a year or so for the next book to come out. I never remember what happens in the book (unless the book is really, really, really good) so I was really happy that I found this series. (sorry for the mini rant!!) Now I will get on to my review!


Summary from Goodreads:
Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.


So this book is about a girl named Sophie who is a witch. She gets sent to the boarding school called Hex Hall for witches, shape shifters, fairies, and a few other supernatural races which are called Prodigium in this series. Hex Hall is where the prodigium get sent if they get in trouble for not controlling their magic and powers. At Hex Hall Sophie feels like an outsider because her mom is human and she gets her powers from her father whom she has never met before. Basically she's the only one there who didn't grow up in a prodigium family so she knows nothing about her powers. Her roommate is the only vampire in the school, and is the suspect for the death of a student and some attacks on other students.

First off, I really liked this book because it was different that other paranormal and fantasy series that I've read before. It kind of reminded me of the ShadowFalls series by C.C Hunter a little and that's another reason why I picked it up. I haven't read a series like this before where the main character was a witch and that's why I liked it so much I think. I've mentioned many times that I love books about witches and witchcraft.

The storyline is this book was really good. I enjoy when the story keeps you guessing and theres a little bit of mystery going on. It was kind of suspenseful not knowing who was attacking the students in this book. There were actually alot of twists and turns in this book which I loved. I always hate it when I can guess what is going to happen in books, and this book definitely had me surprised more than once. I thought the writing style in the beginning was a little choppy and something about it bothered me/something was missing but I couldn't put my finger on it. After the story progressed a little but though it got better and I forgot about it.

I really loved all of the characters in this book too. They are all witty and have a great since of humor. Especially Sophie, she was a great and strong main character. I also really loved her roommate Jenna, and her love interest Archer. I even liked her frenemies in the book too! All of the characters really were awesome.

I don't really have much more to say about this book without giving away spoilers so I am going to end my review here. I gave this book a 4/5 stars on goodreads because overall I really enjoyed this book. I immediately ordered the other two books in the series after I finished reading this one. I just started reading the 2nd book called Demon Glass today so I can't wait to get into it! I am also reading A Clash of Kings which is the 2nd book in the Song of Ice and Fire series (Game of Thrones) so I am trying to break it up by reading Demon Glass as well.

Thank you all for reading and I hope you enjoyed my review!





No comments:

Post a Comment