Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Book Review: Prodigy by Marie Lu.

Today I am going to share my review for Prodigy by Marie Lu, which is the sequel to Legend which I reviewed back at the beginning of May. You can read my review for Legend here if you would like to read that first before my review of Prodigy. Also if you have not read Legend then this review may contain some spoilers, but as always I will try to keep the spoilers to a minimum.



Summary from Goodreads:

June and Day arrive in Vegas just as the unthinkable happens: the Elector Primo dies, and his son Anden takes his place. With the Republic edging closer to chaos, the two join a group of Patriot rebels eager to help Day rescue his brother and offer passage to the Colonies. They have only one request—June and Day must assassinate the new Elector.

It’s their chance to change the nation, to give voice to a people silenced for too long. 

But as June realizes this Elector is nothing like his father, she’s haunted by the choice ahead. What if Anden is a new beginning? What if revolution must be more than loss and vengeance, anger and blood—what if the Patriots are wrong?

In this highly-anticipated sequel, Lu delivers a breathtaking thriller with high stakes and cinematic action.


So I knew right away after finishing Legend that I had to read the sequel. I actually really enjoyed this one and it was quick read. I was surprised on how quick the story went by. It was full of a lot of action that made the story great. I really don't know how or particularly like to review books that are in the middle of a series because I never really know what to say about them. Especially because there is not much I can say without giving away what happened in the book. So I am going to do this review in a list form of things that I liked/disliked about the book.

Things that I liked:
-This book wasn't as hard to get into as the first book was.
-The book was really fast paced, and it had a lot of excited action to hold my attention.
-This book had a lot more explanation of things about how the United States fell apart. Last book really didn't give us any explanation.
-I think Junes and Day's characters both grew a lot in this story. There was a lot of character development from both of them. Day's character really surprised me.
-I liked how this book had a lot more different settings in it other than just in The Republic and The Slums.
-I liked a lot of the characters in this book who played a bigger role in this book than last.
-I had a love hate relationship with the ending! It really made me anxious for next book.

Things that I Disliked:
-I really hated the blue writing. I didn't mind the yellow writing in Legend, but for some reason the blue bothered me.
-In the first book I didn't mind the alternating POV's, but for some reason I liked reading for June's POV better. Towards the end I enjoyed reading more from Day's though.
-I mentioned this in my review for Legend, but I really don't care for the military-ish things and feel to the book. It kind of bores me, but after a while when I got into the story I kind of forgot about it.
-Like I said before, I had a love hate relationship with the ending. That is No way to end a book! Way to drive your readers crazy!!

This is all for my likes and dislikes about this book. I gave it a 5/5 stars on goodreads because I really enjoyed the book, especially towards the end. I can't wait for the next book to come out! It will probably be one of my most anticipated book for this fall.

I hope you all enjoyed and thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment