Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green: Book Review

Today I wanted to do a review on The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, which I just recently finished reading. This is the second book by John Green that I have read, and he is a phenomenal writer. I really enjoyed reading The Fault in Our Stars (however I liked Looking for Alaska better ^.^) so let's get started with my review!



Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. 

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. 

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.

So the main character Hazel has thyroid cancer but she was given a medicine that keeps her tumors under control but has to be on oxygen at all times. Her parents want her to try to be a normal teenager, so they send her to this support group for people who have cancer, are in remission etc. At the support group she meets Augustus, who is in remission and he is definitely interested in Hazel. Augustus and Hazel become friends and eventually start dating as well.

One thing I loved so much about this book was Augustus Waters character. He is the perfect character and it's so hard to not adore him. He is sweet and witty, and has a lot of other great qualities to him as well. I absolutely love how he calls her Hazel Grace instead of just Hazel. I completely melted when he told Hazel he was in love with her. I loved the timing, the way he says it, just everything about that part just made me love the book so much more.  I loved Hazel as well, I loved her humor and how she was just a strong female lead character. I loved it when she opened her heart up and let herself love and be loved by Augustus.

There is so much about this book that I loved and it's just such a beautiful story. It's a book about cancer, but not about cancer at the same time. It is definitely a tear jerker, and it broke my heart in places too. The ending to this book was so perfect though, the last pages were such a great way to end the book and it made the story so complete. (so hard not to give any spoilers! And I know this doesn't make any sense at all to anyone who hasn't read the book haha!)

This is a book that I highly recommend reading if you have not, but I will warn you that it's a book that will most likely make you cry!

Thank you all for reading and I hope you enjoyed my review!

Find me here on Goodreads!

No comments:

Post a Comment