Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Book Review: Paper Towns by John Green

Hello Everyone! Today I am going to share my review for Paper Towns by John Green. I finished this book today and I absolutely loved it. John Green is a phenomenal writer (I can't say that enough times LOL) and his books never ceases to amaze me. This is the 4th John Green book that I have read, and next to Looking for Alaska this one might be my next favorite (maybe). Now on to my review!

Summary from Goodreads:

Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge—he follows.

After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues—and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees of the girl he thought he knew.



So basically this book is about Quentin, or Q, the main character who grew up with his neighbor named Margo, and they were best friends when they were younger. They obviously grow apart during high school and Margo is pretty, popular etc. Q has a lot of friends but they don't run in the same crowd as Margo's friends. One night Margo shows up at Q's window in the middle of the night and takes him on adventure through town and he has the time of his life spending time with her. After that night, Margo runs away and disappears. Margo has run away before, but has always left clues to where she has gone. So Q thinks that she has left clues for him to find her, and he goes on a wild goose chase looking for her with the help of his two best friends. His friends Ben and Radar help him figure everything out, and he also makes friends with one of Margo's friends named Lacey. Q and everyone else soon finds out that the Margo they thought they knew, wasn't really the real Margo after all. As they are looking for clues they are trying to figure out the question no one really wants to ask, is Margo still alive?

I don't think I have ever read a book where an author was so great at writing their characters as John Green is at writing his. They have so much personality and are so well developed it's amazing. With that being said, I loved all of the characters in this book. Every single one of them. I really enjoyed Q's character because he is so determined to find Margo, and he's quirky and funny, and just so real. I also really like Margo because she was such a mystery to use a lot of the time, she reminded me of myself a little bit. She keeps a hidden notebook and is always writing. She has lot of interest that she doesn't share with anyone, like her record collection because these things are too personal. She leaves clues for Q in a Walt Whitman book, and I just love that. I feel like she is such a deep person and it's just amazing for us and Q to uncover that part of her.

The only issue I had with this book was that about after page 100 or so the book got a little slow for me and dragged a little bit. The first 100 pages or so while Q and Margo are on their adventure was great and fast paced, but then it slowed down until like last maybe 100 pages then it picked up again. I really liked the ending to this book as well. I really thought it ended perfectly but at the same time I always want to know more or what is going to happen after ending like this. I'm always sad to see them end because I just want so much more for the characters.  I gave this book a 5/5 stars on goodreads because I just adored this book so much!

I am currently reading The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa so look forward to a review on this book very soon!

Thank you all for reading and I hope you enjoyed this review!



No comments:

Post a Comment