Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Book Review: The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa

Today I am going to be sharing my review for The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten) by Julie Kagawa. This is the first book in the Call of the Forgotten series, which is sort of a spin off series to The Iron Fey series. This series takes place 13 years later with a new main character and such. I am a huge fan of the original Iron Fey series so this was a highly anticipated book for me. I will post the summary down below and then I will share my thoughts on the book!

Summary from goodreads:


Don’t look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them.

That is Ethan Chase’s unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he’d dare to fall for.

Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister’s world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myth and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.




So basically, this book stars Ethan Chase, who is Meghan Chase's younger brother. In the very first book in the Iron Fey series, The Iron King, Meghan gets shoved into the world of Faery because Ethan (who is very young at the time) gets kidnapped and was brought into the Nevernever and she has to go rescue him. So it's thirteen years later, and Ethan is the main character. Unlike his sister who is half fey, Ethan is completely human but he has Sight, which is the ability to see the Fey. They have caused nothing but trouble for him his whole like so he pretty much loathes them and wants nothing to do with them. However, Ethan gets sucked into the world of Faery once again even.

I did give this book a 4/5 stars on goodreads, but I really have mixed feelings about it. Like I said before, I absolutely loved the original Iron Fey series so I had really high hopes for this book. With that being said, I was kind of disappointed. There were a number of things that bugged me about this book, Ethan being a major one of them. It's sad to say that I did not like his character very much, which really sucked for me because I thought Julie Kagawa did such an amazon job in her last book writing from Ash's POV so I really expected to like Ethan as well. I found him to be really annoying, he's really moody all the time and just has such a bad attitude. This totally threw me off. He got a little bit better as the book progressed but it wasn't enough to significantly change my opinion of him.

I really liked the concept of the story line in this book, but it started off really slow. It took over 100 pages for Ethan and his companion to get into The Nevernever and into Faery. This book is a perfect example of why I like reading high fantasy novels much more than kinds like this. I don't know how to explain it, but this book for me (even though Ethan is human) had too much human world and action for me. Like all I wanted was for them to be in the Nevernever more and have more of an adventure there (kind of more like Meghan's story). I know that might be kind of unfair for me to say, but non the less I was just bored during a lot of the story. I was also hopping to see more from the previous characters in this book. I was happy that Grimalkin was in this story sort of a lot though, since he is one of my all time favorite characters from this series. It was nice to see Puck and Ash make a few quick appearances, but I really wish there was more of Meghan in this story.

Besides Ethan's being the main character, there were his companions in this book Kenzie and Keirran. Unfortunately I already knew who Keirran was from reading the short novella The Iron Prophecy, which is fine but I feel like the story would have been better if I didn't know who he was and got to find out during this book. I wasn't a fan o Kenzie very much, either. She was also sort of annoying and it bothered me how she was always calling Ethan "tough guy". I really didn't like their relationship together either, I can't exactly put my finger on why but I just know something about it bugged me. I do like how Ethan opened up towards her and stopped acting like a complete A-hole though. It just seemed like the two of them lacked some kind of chemistry for me.

The reason I did give this book a 4/5 stars (I would probably would have said 3.5 if goodreads would have let me lol) was because I did find the concept of the story good, it was just lacking a lot of things. I will continue to read the next books in the series when they come out because I do still have high hopes for them. Hopefully, this first book was just boring because it was getting the story going. If you have read the Iron Fey series then I definitely think this one is worth the read too because anything to keep a story going after you think it's finished is a win for me!

I hope you all enjoyed me review and happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment