Friday, August 24, 2012

Book Review: The Pact by Jodi Picoult

A few days ago I finished reading The Pact by Jodi Picoult and I wanted to share my review of this book on my blog. First off I want to say that Jodi Picoult is a phenomenal writer and if you haven't read any of her books I encourage you to check them out. I've been so amazed by each book that I've read of hers so far. Now on to my review. :)



For eighteen years the Hartes and the Golds have lived next door to each other, sharing everything from Chinese food to chicken pox to carpool duty-- they've grown so close it seems they have always been a part of each other's lives. Parents and children alike have been best friends, so it's no surprise that in high school Chris and Emily's friendship blossoms into something more. They've been soul mates since they were born.

So when midnight calls from the hospital come in, no one is ready for the appalling truth: Emily is dead at seventeen from a gunshot wound to the head. There's a single unspent bullet in the gun that Chris took from his father's cabinet-- a bullet that Chris tells police he intended for himself. But a local detective has doubts about the suicide pact that Chris has described


As you can see from the summary this book is about two families who live next to each other and they have been friends most of their lives. Their children grow up together, etc. This book is about Chris and Emily, who were born three months apart and have known each other forever. Basically, they are soul mates. Growing up they were best friends and they eventually started dating, as everyone knew they would. A terrible accident happens one night that no one in each family ever expected to happen. Emily  is dead from a gun wound to the head and Chris was with her. He's hurt and unconscious when the police find them. There was two bullets in the gun that night and Chris claims the other bullet was for him. They had planned on making a suicide pact, but Chris is still alive. So the ultimate question is, were they really going to commit suicide or did Chris Murder Emily?

The book switches back and fourth between the present day and past time. We get to see what is happening now after Emily's death and we go through all the lives of the characters as well. We get to see when Chris and Emily start dating, as well as all the events leading up to her death.  I loved all of the characters in this book and I felt that they were all written extremely well. I had a slight issue with Chris's character towards the beginning though. I thought he was lacking in emotion a little bit but that changed towards the end. I especially loved Emily's character and I loved reading from her point of view when the book went into the past.

I absolutely loved everything about this book. It was such an amazing read that I can't rave enough about. It's hands down one of the best books I've ever read. This book made me feel so many different emotions while reading it. It was definitely a book that left me completely speechless and I couldn't even gather my thoughts about it for a few days because I was just so overwhelmed with emotion. The last 100 pages or so were so exhilarating, especially when it comes down to the end and you finally find out what really happened the night that Emily died. Through this book I was laughing and crying and there were parts where my heart was beating out of my chest! I highly recommend reading this one to anyone who hasn't yet!

I hope you all enjoyed my review and thanks for reading! I'm currently reading Looking for Alaska by John Green, which was one of the books on my fall TBR list! I will be doing a review on this as well when I'm finished.

Find me here on goodreads!

No comments:

Post a Comment